Re: Review of the upcoming silc-server package

Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> Here is the package Description:

What's the one-line synopsis?

>  silc-server is a server for the SILC protocol.

Is this intended as the synopis (short description) line?  If so, it
should just be:

   server for the SILC protocol

If it's not the synopsis, it may be entirely redundant.

>  SILC (Secure Internet Live Conferencing) is a protocol which provides
>  secure conferencing services in the Internet over insecure channel.

Make that "on the Internet", and "insecure channels".

>  SILC is IRC like softwarre although internally they are very different.

That would be "is an IRC-like protocol".

>  Biggest similarity between SILC and IRC is that they both provide
>  conferencing services and that SILC has almost same commands as IRC.
>  Other than that they are nothing alike.

The single biggest similarity is... two different things?  And apart
from the "biggest", there aren't any similarities?  In that case
let's leave out the superlatives.

>  Biggest differences are that SILC is
>  secure what IRC is not in any way.

Does this mean "SILC is secure where IRC isn't"?

>  The network model is also entirely
>  different compared to IRC.

Just "different from IRC".

Here's a rewrite of that whole paragraph:

 SILC (Secure Internet Live Conferencing) is a protocol which provides
 secure conferencing services on the Internet over insecure channels.
 The protocol resembles IRC in that it can provide conferencing services,
 with almost the same set of commands as IRC; but SILC is secure, and
 uses an entirely different network model.

>  Please enter the name of the SILC server. (e.g. Some random SILC server)

If the idea is that "Some random SILC server" is the name, say:

   Please enter the name of the SILC server (e.g.: "My SILC Server").

>  Please enter the hostname (or the IP address) of the SILC server.
>  (e.g. silc.example.com)

Better, although here on d-l-e we prefer example.org!  More
importantly, the punctuation (here and elsewhere) should be

   Please enter the foo (e.g.: bar).

>  Please enter the real name of the operator running the SILC server.
>  (e.g. Foo T. Bar)

More traditional example names include "J. Random Operator" and
"Fred Bloggs".

>  Please enter the organization running the SILC server.
>  (e.g. Some Organization)

   Please enter the name of the organization running the SILC server
   (e.g.: "My Organization").

>  Please enter the country where is located the SILC server.

Word-order:
   Please enter the country where the SILC server is located.

>  Administrator will need to use this nickname in order to authenticate
>  herself.

No need to say either "him" or "her" here:

   The Administrator will need to use this nickname in order to
   authenticate.

>  Please enter the passphrase that will authenticate the SILC server
>  administrator.
>  .
>  Admnisitrator will need to enter this passphrase to authenticate herself.

Ditto; and you're repeating yourself.  Make it:

   Please enter the passphrase for the SILC server administrator.
   .
   The Administrator will need to use this passphrase in order to
   authenticate.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)