Re: 2nd version of the project announcement

Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):
> The description of the project name has made me realise why I don't
> like Oxford as the name for this, even though I come from near there.
> The OED is a strange mix of the very conservative (it still hardlines
> against the softening of -ize to -ise which happened long ago) and the
> very modish (like Jello shot, buzzkill and tweener).
>
> OED is also a subscription service, unlike other online English
> dictionaries from Collins and the University of Cambridge.  If OED
> want us to advertise them, let them pay us.

OK, I was of course ignorant of all these issues so thanks for sharing
your knowledge here.

This is still time to change the project's name. It will require me to
change the wiki pages names as well, but that's not a very big deal.
Indeed, if someone wants to pick up with the task of maintaining the
wiki (s)he would be really welcomed....

> I suggest "the Smith Project" as an alternative: Smith is a popular
> English surname, but is also a suffix for some trades that make
> things, like blacksmiths and wordsmiths.

Well, interesting suggestion. I'm OK to use "Smith" as the project's
name. Others, comments?

As an alternative, we can use Collins...or Cambridge...:)

That will require rewriting the announcement to cope with that of
course....and particularly change the explanation of the project's
name.

Something like "every cute project must have a name and a common
random surname in English is Smith"? Would that sound rude to the
Smiths we certainly have in Debian?