Re: [RFR] templates://gnumeric/{gnumeric.templates}

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>>> +  - Microsoft Excel (tm) 97/2000/XP (.xls);
>>> +  - Microsoft Excel (tm) 95 (.xls);
>>
>> Isn't that "MS Excel 95/97/2000/XP (.xls)"?
>
> No. They are quite distinct versions (generations) of this file format and
> applications working with one may not necessarily support the other.

Gnumeric being one of the applications that does support both... so
if we want to emphasise that, how about putting it like this:

  - MS Excel 95, MS Excel 97/2000/XP (.xls);

bearing in mind that the next line is:

  - OASIS XML, OpenOffice.org XML, StarOffice (.sxc);

>>> +  - Comma/Character Separated Values (.csv);
>>
>> I don't believe in "Character Separated".  RFC4180 insists that .csv
>> means "Comma-Separated", and the only cover-term I've encountered
>> before is "Delimiter-Separated Values"...  Ah, reading
>> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/doc I see that it can export
>> to either .csv or .tsv, so we should say "Comma- or Tab-Separated".
>
> There is also a generalised text export which supports arbitrary separators
> and offers control over the method of quoting, line ends and character
> encoding.

Oh, so there is, fair enough, but it calls that "Text File Format",
not Character Separated.  How about:

  - Comma/Tab/Delimiter-Separated Values (.csv, .tsv, .txt);
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)