Re: [RFR2] templates://console-common/{templates.in}

Christian Perrier wrote:
> I also entirely revamped the first template as an attempt to make it
> fit in a single screen (this is probably not still enough: shortening
> it by at least 2 lines would be good).

I think I can do three, but extra input would be welcome.

> Template: console-data/keymap/policy
>  The keymap describes how keys are laid out on the keyboard, and what
>  symbols (letters, digits, etc.) are drawn on them.

This could be interpreted as claiming that changing the keymap might
reconfigure my physical keyboard to have a spacebar at the top and
128 keys all marked "Delete".

   The keymap records the layout of symbols on the keyboard.

>   - 'Select keymap from arch list': select one of the predefined keymaps
>     specific for your architecture (recommended for all non-USB keyboards);
>   - 'Don't touch keymap': will prevent the configuration system from
>      overwriting the manually installed keymap defined in /etc/console.
>      Such keymap must have been installed with install-keymap(8);

Subtly inconsistent indenting; also, "select" and "will prevent"
don't quite match.

    - 'Select keymap from arch list': select one of the predefined keymaps
      specific for your architecture (recommended for non-USB keyboards);
    - 'Don't touch keymap': don't overwrite the keymap in /etc/console,
      which you are maintaining manually with install-keymap(8);

>   _ 'Keep kernel keymap': prevent any keymap from being loaded next time
>      the system boots.

Just standardise the bullet-point and the indent level:

    - 'Keep kernel keymap': prevent any keymap from being loaded next time
      the system boots.

Trying to squash this into something like "load no keymap on next
boot" would probably be a bad idea.

>   - 'Select keymap from full list': shows a full listing of all predefined
>     keymaps. Recommended when using (often USB) keyboards from a different
>     computer architecture.

What do people think of:

    - 'Select keymap from full list': list all the predefined keymaps.
      Recommended when using cross-architecture (often USB) keyboards.

--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)