Please proofread README.Debian for fwanalog

[ please CC me no replies, I am not on the list ]

Hi,
I partially rewrote the README.Debian provided with fwanalog.

Please proofread it, suggestions welcome.

ciao,
	ema

fwanalog for Debian
===================

GENERAL
-------
This package requires (in order to generate something) that you  log  all
packets that you reject or drop. This can be accomplished by inserting a
-j LOG before your normal  -j  DROP  or  -j  REJECT  rules.  As  always,
exercise caution when tampering with your firewall-setup, and  check  it
for any holes with nmap et al afterwards.

If you need a  firewall-script  for  iptables  with  logging-support,  I
suggest     you     try     MonMotha's     IPTables     Firewall      at
http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

CONFIG OPTIONS
--------------
There are some important options in /etc/fwanalog/fwanalog.opts you may
need to check.

logformat:
The log format, which is set to "iptables" by default.
Other valid values are: ipchains, ipf, openbsd, freebsd, solarisipf,
pf_30, zynos, pix, watchguard, fw1.
For an explaination about these values, see the comments in
/etc/fwanalog/fwanalog.opts

outdir:
The output directory, which is set by default to /var/log/fwanalog.

Change this value to a /var/www subdirectory (e.g. /var/www/fwanalog) if
you  want to be able to access fwanalog results from your webserver.
WARNING: fwanalog output may be analized by a potential attacker to guess
your firewall ruleset. It may be a good idea to restrict world access to
these informations.

inputfiles_dir, inputfiles_mask:
The directory where logfiles are in is called "inputfiles_dir" and is set
to /var/log.
fwanalog will process logfiles in this directory, which are called as
specified in "inputfiles_mask". This variable is set to "messages*" by
default.

See /usr/share/doc/fwanalog/examples/fwanalog.opts.* for some examples of
common configuration scenarios.

PERMISSIONS
-----------
fwanalog runs as an unprivileged user by default in Debian; remember to
allow the fwanalog user to write in the directory you choose as fwanalog
output dir.

Be also sure that the fwanalog user is able to read logfiles located
under "$inputfiles_dir/$inputfiles_mask" (/var/log/messages* by default).

CRON
----
To modify the cronjob behaviour and the output language run the following
command:
dpkg-reconfigure fwanalog