Re: Review courier-base templates

On 27 Jan 2004 12:29:49 +0200
era+debian@iki.fi wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:04:40 +0100, Stefan Hornburg <deblists@linuxia.de>
> posted to gmane.linux.debian.internationalization.english:
>  > Template: courier-base/webadmin-configmode
>  > Type: boolean
>  > Default: false
>  >  Courier uses several configuration files which are located in
>  >  /etc/courier. Some configuration files can be replaced by a subdirectory
>  >  where all files insides this directory are concatenated and considered
>  >  to be a single, consolidated, configuration file.
>  >  .
>  >  To control and administer the Courier configuration
>  >  through the web-based administration frontend provided by the
>  >  courier-webadmin package, these files resp. directories needs to be readable and
>  >  writable by the user ${courieruser}.
>  >  .
>  >  Furthermore, the frontend relies on configuration directories instead of
>  >  configuration files. If you agree, any directories needed for the web-based
>  >  administration tool will be created unless there is already a
>  >  plain file in place.
>  >  .
>  >  Should the Courier packages change the file ownership, permissions and
>  >  create directories to accomodate the web-based administration frontend ?
>
> s/ ?/?/g
>
> The second paragraph has a congruence problem. How about this instead:
>
>  To control and administer the Courier configuration through the
>  web-based administration frontend provided by the courier-webadmin
>  package, the directory and files need to be readable and writable by
>  the user ${courieruser}.

That is better. I used "the directories" because there are subdirectories
below /etc/courier.

> This also coincidentally fixes the wrapping problem. (Just a matter of
> taste, I guess, but there might be debconf frontends which don't rewrap?)

They really should do the rewrapping, but don't start a discussion about
that here.

> Not sure about frontend pro front-end. Is this standardized anywhere?
>
>  > Template: courier-base/suitenotice
>  > Type: note
>  >  Formerly the courier-imap package(s) are generated from the separately
>  >  distributed Courier IMAP sources. From now on the whole Courier suite gets
>  >  packaged for Debian. So the infrastructure has changed a lot, e.g. all
>  >  configuration files have been moved to /etc/courier.
>  >  .
>  >  Please tell the maintainer about your experiences with the new
>  >  infrastructure.
>
> Temporal confusion. I'd prefer this:
>
>  Formerly, the courier-imap packages were generated from the
>  separately distributed Courier IMAP sources. This has changed, and
>  now the entire Courier suite gets packaged for Debian. For this
>  reason, the infrastructure has changed a lot; for example, all
>  configuration files have been moved to /etc/courier.
>
> You'll note some minor wording changes in addition to the decoupling
> of the note from the time it was written.

Great, this is really an improvement.

>  > Template: courier-base/maildir
>  > Type: string
>  > Default: Maildir
>  >  You change the setting for the directory name in the user's home directory
>  >  where the Courier POP and IMAP servers locate the user's maildir.

> I don't understand the long explanation. Does it mean you should also
> change something in the user's home directory? Or do you mean
> something like
>
>  This is a relative path name from each user's home directory to the
>  maildir directory where the Courier POP and IMAP servers store the
>  user's mail.

Basically yes, but POP/IMAP access the email rather than store it in
the first place.

> In that case, what if one wanted to store the maildir somewhere else
> entirely, i.e. somewhere within /var?

He can do that, but only with the virtual users or symlinks.

> The relative vs. absolute distinction I think would be important in
> any event.

Yes, that's right. For now, I using the following text:

 This is a relative path name from each user's home directory to the
 Maildir directory where the Courier servers store and access the
 user's email. Please read the maildir(5) manual page if you are
 unacquainted with Maildir's.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, indeed. Thank you very much for your help.

Bye
	Racke

Interchange Development Team