Re: Please check these manpages

I'm going to put things in [...] to indicate that I've left of a bunch of nroff.

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 09:11 PM, Nicolas Boullis wrote:

.TH LOADWATCH 1 "May 2002"
.\" NAME should be all caps, SECTION should be 1-8, maybe w/ subsection
.\" other parms are allowed: see man(7), man(1)

.SH NAME
loadwatch \- run a program in idle CPU cycles

run a program when machine is idle

.SH SYNOPSIS
\fBloadwatch\fR [\fIoptions\fR] \fB\-p\fR \fIpid\fR | [--]
\fIprog\fR [\fIargs\fR]
.br

.SH DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the \fBloadwatch\fR utility.

Strike this line. You've probably seen it in GNU manpages, but its only there to tell you to read the info file instead.

.PP
\fBloadwatch\fR is a program that spawns a child process that executes
\fIprog\fR with the optional arguments \fIargs\fR while the system
load remains below a user specified boundary, \fIhigh_limit\fR.

The system load is sampled every \fIdelay\fR seconds, and when it
exceeds \fIhigh_limit\fR the child process is send a \fBSIGSTOP\fR.

\fBloadwatch\fR will continue to monitor the system load, and when the
load goes below the setpoint \fIlow_limit\fR, the child process is
sent a \fBSIGCONT\fR to continue its execution.

loadwatch spawns a child process [prog] with the arguments [args] and allows it to run while the load average remains below [high_limit]. Every [delay] seconds, loadwatch checks the load average. If it is above [high_limit], the child is suspended. The child is resumed when the load falls below [low_limit].

(Wow, that was some serious condensation!)

.SH OPTIONS
A summary of options are included below.

s/are/is

Please make your subjects and verbs agree.

.TP
\fB\-h\fR \fIhigh_limit\fR
a decimal value that sets the system load at which the child process will
be stopped. (Default: 1.25)

Suspended is probably a better word, and happens to be what shells use in response to, e.g., C-z.

.TP
\fB\-l\fR \fIlow_limit\fR
a decimal value that sets the system load at which the child process will
be restarted. (Default: 0.25)

s/restarted/resumed

Restarted implies, e.g., SIGKILL followed by starting prog all over again.

.TP
\fB\-d\fR \fIdelay\fR
an integer value that sets the period in seconds that the system load will
be sampled. (Default: 10)

An integral number of seconds that sets how often the system load will be checked.

.TP
\fB\-n\fR \fIcopies\fR
an integer value that sets the number of copies of \fIprog\fR to
run. (Default: 1)
.TP
\fB\-u\fR \fIfile\fR
a unix domain socket that will be used to contol \fBloadwatch\fR with
\fBlw-ctl\fR.

This needs more detail. Do I need to create this socket myself? Or will loadwatch do it?

.TP
\fB\-p\fR \fIpid\fR
the pid of the program that should be controlled by \fBloadwatch\fR
(with all its process group).

The rest of the page only mentioned it spawning a child...

.SH BUGS
Currently only one instance of \fBloadwatch\fR should be running at a
given time, as multiple instances will interact in possibly unexpected
ways.

That's weird. How would they interact, besides through the load average?

.TH LW-CTL 1 "May 2002"

.SH NAME
lw-ctl \- send commands to a running \fBloadwatch\fR

.SH SYNOPSIS
\fBlw-ctl\fR \fIfile\fR \fIcommand\fR

.SH DESCRIPTION
\fBlw-ctl\fR is meant to send commands to a running
\fBloadwatch\fR. You can set it to one of the three states \fBRUN\fR,
\fBSTOP\fR or \fBWATCH\fR.

[lw-ctl] sends commands to a running [loadwatch]. You can instruct [loadwatch] to enter one of three states, [RUN], [STOP], or [WATCH].

.PP
The parameters are:

.TP
\fIfile\fR
a unix domain socket listened by the running \fBloadwatch\fR to
control.

The UNIX domain socket that [loadwatch] is listening to.

.TP
\fIcommand\fR
one of \fBRUN\fR, \fBSTOP\fR or \fBWATCH\fR.

One of:

.PP
The possible states are:

Strike.

.TP
\fBRUN\fR
the program(s) controlled by \fBloadwatch\fR run whatever the load is.

Allow the child process to run regardless of system load.

.TP
\fBSTOP\fR
the program(s) controlled by \fBloadwatch\fR are stopped whatever the
load is.

Suspend the child process and do not resume even if system load is below the low threshhold.

.TP
\fBWATCH\fR
\fBloadwatch\fR watches the load to decide whether to run the
program(s) it controls.

Return to normal mode, where the system load determines if the program is allowed to run.

.SH "SEE ALSO"
loadwatch(1)

.SH AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org>,
for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others).

.TH WMTV 1
.\" NAME should be all caps, SECTION should be 1-8, maybe w/ subsection
.\" other parms are allowed: see man(7), man(1)
.SH "NAME"
wmtv \- dockable video4linux TV player for WindowMaker.

.SH "SYNOPSIS"
.B wmtv
.I "[--exe program]"

.SH "DESCRIPTION"
.BR wmtv
is a dockable video4linux TV player. It supports channel presets,
PAL/Secam/NTSC, fine tuning, full screen display,

Move the following to the end. It's not too important, so it shouldn't be up top:
... This manual
page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the
original program does not have a manual page. It is widely based on
the README provided with the program.

.SH "OPTIONS"
.TP
.B \-d, \-\-display
Specifies the X server to contact.

.TP
.B \-e, \-\-exe
Uses an external TV player to be launched when double clicking on the
TV screen. It is possible to pass some parameters to this external
application with % codes.

Launch an external TV player when the screen is double clicked...

.SH "USAGE"
This sections describes how to use the application in docked
state. See lower for fullscreen mode usage.

s/lower/the next section/

Button map:
.br
    [ < ] [ > ] [ 0 ]
.br
     <1>   <2>   <3>

There are 3 modes of operation on this applications. You can cycle
through the 3 modes by clicking on the right most button <3> repeatedly.

s/repeatedly//

The 3 modes are described below:

.in +5
.B "On mode"
.br
.B "-------"
.br

Errm, is this supposed to be underlining?

Clicking on the rightmost button <3> for the first time (after the
start of WMTV) would turn TV on. During this mode, the left <1> and

start of WMTV) will turn the TV on. While in this mode, the left...

right <2> but tons are used to change preset channels which has been

s/but tons/buttons/
s/are used to//
s/change preset/change to preset/

defined in your config file. Left button to move down 1 channel and

Use the left button to move down one channel and

Right button to move up one channel.

the right button...

.B "Tune mode"
.br
.B "---------"
.br
Clicking again on button <3> after On mode would bring WMTV into

s/would bring/will change/

tune mode. During this mode, the left <1> and right <2> buttons have
two purposes individually. Left clicking on the left <1> or right <2>

Strike from "during" through "individually."

buttons would perform scans of channels. Scanning will stop when there

Left clicking on the left <1> or right <2> button performs a channel scan. Scanning stops when there

is a strong signal strength. Right clicking on the left <1> or right
<2> button would fine tune the current frequency. After tuning,

<2> button fine tunes the current channel.

clicking on button <3> would set the fine tuned offset into your

clicking button <3> saves the fine tuning to your

config file and bring you back into "On mode".

config file and brings you back...

.B "Off mode"
.br
.B "--------"
.br
Holding down button <3> for about 3 seconds from any of the two
modes described above, would turn the TV off.

s/, would turn/ turns/

.in -5

Right clicking once on the TV Screen would mute/unmute the audio.

Right-clicking the TV screen mutes/unmutes the audio.

Double clicking LEFT mouse button on the TV Screen would launch your
favorite TV application when specified with the -e/--exe option in the
command line. If the external application is not set, It'll
automatically switch to the build in full screen mode. Double clicking
the MIDDLE mouse button on the TV Screen would bring you into the
built in full screen mode.

Double left-clicking the TV screen launches the application specified with --exe. If --exe was not specified, then the built-in full-screen mode is used instead. Double-clicking with the middle mouse button will always invoke the built-in full screen mode.

.SH "FULL SCREEN MODE"
Single click on any mouse button will return to initial screen.

To exit full screen mode, click.

.B Keyboard functions
.br
.B ------------------
.br
.in +2
Up     - Switch preset channels up.

Change to next preset channel.

.br
Down   - Switch preset channels down.

Change to previous preset channel.

.br
Right  - Volume up. (If supported by the v4l device.)
.br

Increase volume. (I'm using decrease here, because we're using the right arrow key, so saying down is a little confusing. It'd get me confused enough to try pressing the down key, but that changes channels. I think the key bindings are backwards, but what the heck?)

Left   - Volume down. (If supported.)
.br

Decrease volume.

Escape - Return to initial screen.

Leave full screen mode.

.br
m      - mute/unmute audio.

mute

.br
.in -2

.SH "EXTERNAL APPLICATION"
It is possible to pass some parameters to the external application
through % codes:
.br
.in +2
.B %%
is replaced by a single raw %.

strike "raw". I've never heard of a cooked %.

.br
.B %n
is replaced by the name of the current channel.
.br
.B %#
is replaced by the number of the current channel.
.br
.B %f
is replaced by the current frequency.

I'm not clear what this means. Is it actually a frequency, like 4.56MHz, or do you mean channel number?

.br
.in -2
Other % codes my lead to unspecified behaviors.

The behavior of other % codes is undefined and subject to change.

Example: wmtv -e 'xawtv "%n"'

.SH "CONFIGURATION FILE"
This section describes on how to configure WMTV's configuration file.
Your configuration file is located in your home directory as ".wmtvrc".

This section describes the format of WMTV's configuration file. It is located in your home directory under ".wmtvrc"

Excerpt from a sample config file:
.in +5
.br
/*-----------------------
.sp
source = Television
.br
freqnorm = pal-australia
.br
maxpreset = 7
.br
mode = pal
.br
fullscreen = 640x480
.br

.sp
[channel]
.br
2       NAME
.br
7       FOO
.br
9       BAR
.br
10      FOOBAR
.br
32 (50)
.br
SE11
.br
S21     LAST CHANNEL
.br
-------------------------*/
.br
.in -5

.B Settings
.br
.B --------
.br
source = { Television | CompositeX | S-Video } (X is an integer)
.br
.sp
freqnorm = { ntsc-bcast | ntsc-cable | ntsc-cable-hrc | ntsc-bcast-jp
| ntsc-cable-jp | pal-europe | pal-europe-east | pal-italy |
pal-newzealand | pal-australia | pal-ireland | secam-france }

maxpreset = integer (maximum channel presets)

mode = { pal | ntsc | secam }

fullscreen = widthxheight

[channel]
.br
Choose a total of <maxpreset> from the below channels.
.br
Separate the channels with a new line as in the sample config file above.
.br
{
.in +2
.br
E2 | E3 | E4 |
.br
S01 | S02 | S03 |
.br
R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | R5 |
.br
SE1 | SE2 | SE3 | SE4 | SE5 | SE6 | SE7 | SE8 | SE9 | SE10 |
.br
E5 | E6 | E7 | E8 | E9 | E10 | E11 | E12 |
.br
R6 | R7 | R8 | R9 | R10 | R11 | R12 |
.br
SE11 | SE12 | SE13 | SE14 | SE15 | SE16 | SE17 | SE18 | SE19 | SE20 |
.br
S21 | S22 | S23 | S24 | S25 | S26 | S27 | S28 | S29 | S30 | S31 | S32
| S33 | S34 | S35 | S36 | S37 | S38 | S39 | S40 | S41 |
.br
T7 | T8 | T9 | T10 | T11 | T12 | T13 | T14 |
.br
K01 | K02 | K03 | K04 | K05 | K06 | K07 | K08 | K09 | K10 |
.br
KB | KC | KD | KE | KF | KG | KH | KI | KJ | KK | KL | KM | KN | KO |
KP | KQ |
.br
H01 | H02 | H03 | H04 | H05 | H06 | H07 | H08 | H09 | H10 | H11 | H12
| H13 | H14 | H15 | H16 | H17 | H18 | H19 |
.br
.br
.in -2
}
.br
Finetune parameters could be added in brackets, spaced after the
channel.
.br
A name for the channel can also be specified, tabbed after the
finetune.
.br
.sp
for example:
  32 (50)                 # channel 32 plus 50
  or
  SE11    LAST CHANNEL    # channel SE11 called "LAST CHANNEL"

.SH "FILES"
.TP
.I /etc/wmtvrc
System wide config file.
.TP
.I ~/.wmtvrc
Users config file.

.\".SH "SEE ALSO"
.\"The programs are documented fully by
.\".IR "The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar" ,
.\"available via the Info system.
.SH AUTHOR
This manual page was first written by Remi Lefebvre <remi@debian.org>,
and then modified by Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org>,
for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others).