Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Le 04/10/2020 à 07:32, Helge Kreutzmann a écrit :
Hello Jean-Philippe,
On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 08:25:36PM +0200, Mario Blättermann wrote:
Am Sa., 3. Okt. 2020 um 20:03 Uhr schrieb Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
<jpmengual@debian.org>:
You don't have to be an »uploading developer« for releasing an
upstream tarball of manpages-l10n. This is only for Debian packaging.
Upstream releasing and downstream packaging do not necessarily have to
be linked to each other. Of course, this can be done by different
persons, although manpages-l10n is still to be considered as a Debian
project, but meanwhile distribution-agnostic.

I strongly concour with Mario.

manpages-l10n uses Debian infrastructure, but it is not a Debian
project, but rather an upstream one.

There are various downstreams as Mario gave a nice overview.

One of them is Debian, where currently Tobias is the Maintainer.
Unfortunately Tobias is not able to maintain both the Debian
downstream and the upstream project as he used to be.

Mario is very involved in getting the upstream part working again
(which I stronly support where I technically can) and we are
discussing this (albeit very slowly) with Tobias.

I offered to take over the Debian downstream part, which I technically
could (though reviewing the steps once more especially for backports
could be helpful), but I'm no developer, so Tobias would need to grant
me the permission for uploads. This has been proposed to Tobias, so I
hope the Debian side gets going properly again as well.

But the big issue are the upstream releases.

Can Tobias, Mario and whoever write a step-to-step doc (eg. in CONTRIBUTING.md) with administrative commands and actions needed to be a release manager? Perhaps I can help if I have the process and the git commands written, if I know who announce the next release to, etc. In case I have technical issues, I may find help on the mailing lists. But this initial doc is absolutely needed to help a non-tech person to do the release management I think.

Regards

Greetings

             Helge