How (not) to respond to spam messages

On Sunday 29 November 2009, jan roemer wrote:
> For me the message below is SPAM!

Of course it is spam.

> I do not like this.

Do you really think anybody else does?

> I did not ask you to set me on a mailinglist for spammers.

About 99.9% of spam sent to the Debian mailing lists gets filtered so you
never see it. Please accept the fact that filtering can never be 100% and
some messages *will* get through, even with the best efforts of the list
masters.

Please don't increase the noise level on mailing lists with essentially
useless replies to spam and you should certainly never, ever *quote* a
spam message in your replies as that reduces the effectiveness of
filtering.

If you want to help do something about spam, then please report spam
messages on the mailing lists [1] using the proper methods:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ListMaster/ListArchiveSpam#MethodstoNominateSpamfortheReview-Process

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Or in the BTS.