Re: tasksel: Input methods for chinese - (Was: Updating chinese-t-desktop in tasksel for Wheezy.)

Hi,

"Yao Wei (魏銘廷)" <mwei@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Jan 12, 2019, at 16:35, Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > And for traditional Chinese:
> >
> > Package: task-chinese-t-desktop
> > Architecture: all
> > This task localises the desktop in Traditional Chinese.
> > Depends: ${misc:Depends},
> > Recommends:
> > 	scim,
> > 	scim-chewing,
> > 	scim-gtk-immodule,
> > 	im-config,
> > 	fonts-arphic-ukai,
> > 	fonts-arphic-uming,
> > # seems openjdk needs this to display Chinese.
> > 	fonts-noto,
> > 	fonts-noto-cjk,
> > 	libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw,
> > 	libreoffice-help-zh-tw,
> > 	firefox-esr-l10n-zh-tw | firefox-l10n-zh-tw,
> > # poppler-data is needed to display
> > # Chinese on poppler applications.
> > 	poppler-data
> >
> > Is this working so far, or should things be improved, to close this bug?
>
> Currently, the following set is recommended (for GNOME3 desktop) instead
> of the ones above, because current GNOME3 has native support on ibus
> (and probably fcitx):
>
> ibus,
> ibus-chewing,
> ibus-table,
> im-config,
> fonts-arphic-ukai,
> fonts-arphic-uming,
> fonts-noto, # this seems to be unnecessary, but not really sure.
> fonts-noto-cjk,
> libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw,
> libreoffice-help-zh-tw,
> firefox-esr-l10n-zh-tw | firefox-l10n-zh-tw,
> poppler-data
>
> or we can follow task-chinese-s-desktop and use fcitx instead of ibus in
> task-chinese-t-desktop:
>
> fcitx,
> fcitx-chewing,
> fcitx-table,
> im-config,
> fonts-arphic-ukai,
> fonts-arphic-uming,
> fonts-noto, # this seems to be unnecessary, but not really sure.
> fonts-noto-cjk,
> libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw,
> libreoffice-help-zh-tw,
> firefox-esr-l10n-zh-tw | firefox-l10n-zh-tw,
> poppler-data
>
> Other input methods like gcin and hime are also available, but I seldom
> see people using SCIM.

So, for the input method question, I would propose to skip SCIM and move to
fcitx as in zh_CN.

Any objections or advocates?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Finterprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076