Re: Coordination of language variants

Hi Boyuan!

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 10:45:53AM +0800, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> Hi Tassia,
>
> I digged into Debian website's Chinese variant support a while before. There are
> indeed several tricks that I'd like to share with you. Unfortunately I
> won't be available
> at this year's debconf. I'm not sure about others' schedule but you
> might find others there.
> IRC metting is possible too but the time need to be selected carefully.

In this case, let's DebConf finish and it will be easier for me to
follow up. Too many things going on at the same time now :-/

> First of all, we are generating three HTML files from the same source
> WML file. The detailed
> implementation can be found at [3]. Line 103 is the core.
>
> One solid foundation about Chinese variant handling is an excellent
> tool developed
> specifically for Chinese variant conversion, namely opencc [1]. The
> tool is able to convert
> text between different Chinese variants. Current implementation in
> webwml repository
> is largely a wrapper for that tool. See [2] for its detail, in which
> opencc is called during website
> build to convert original texts (often a *mixture* of tranditional
> chinese and simplified chinese)
> to the desired Chinese variant page (zh_CN, zh_TW or zh_HK). Some
> manual word substitution
> also exist for fine-tuning but those manual substitution scripts are
> largely deprecated; see also
> other scripts in [2] under the same directory.
>
> I don't know if there's a tool that can handle Portuguese auto
> conversion. If there is one, the
> process can be greatly simplified.

I'm not aware of any of such tools for Portuguese variants. But I guess
we could simply adopt the translation in one variant exactly as the
other (perhaps with a note that it was inherited from the other variant?),
and once the team has human power to adapt the translation, that
would be done. This workflow would of course need to be agreed with the
portuguese team.

What about the work coordination? Do you have separate mailing lists
and channels? What kind of resources do you share?

Thank you!

Tassia.