Re: New Downloadable Version

Hi,

Felix Miata wrote:
> On Gigabyte Kaby Lake normally booted to UEFI, its F12 boot menu offers the 8.2
> DVD disc in its Plextor DVD drive in both plain description:
>
>         P3: PLEXTOR PX-891SAF (choice #2)
>
> and UEFI description:
>
>         UEFI: PLEXTOR PX-891SAF (choice #11)
>
> two different options for the same disc. Selecting choice #2 produces a
> familiar
> Knoppix boot screen. Choosing #11 puts a non-blinking cursor on the screen

That's a known problem of SYSLINUX EFI software with optical media.
Afaik, it does not find the optical drive after having been started
by the EFI firmware.

Klaus Knopper hoped to circumvent this by putting a whole mini Linux
into the EFI partition. It works for him on virtual machines (OVMF as
EFI firmware, i guess). But obviously it does not work on most of the
real iron EFI implementations. For me it does not even work with OVMF.

This EFI-from-DVD problem is the reason why nearly all GNU/Linux ISOs
are equipped with GRUB software for EFI. There are EFIs which boot
SYSLINUX from USB stick but fail with GRUB. Rare, but credibly reported.

In principle Knoppix could have different FAT filesystems for booting
from optical media via El Torito and from hard-disk-like devices by
the partition table. This would increase the ISO size and might be
quite some work to make both EFI partitions deliver the same boot
menu and boot result.
Finally the firmware could go mad on such an unusual situation. YMMV.

Whatever, the problem of JD is with USB stick i.e. a hard-disk-like
storage device. Further he reports a GRUB prompt.
So i suspect rather that the USB socket is not in the list of bootable
devices of the firmware. But as stated: Why does GRUB then not boot
the operating system for which it was most probably installed ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas