Re: New Downloadable Version

Hi,

it is indeed deplorable that no 8.5 ISO can be found in the web, although
its existence is announced in
  https://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix850-en.html

8.2 is the youngest i see.

JD wrote:
> I installed 8.2 to thumbdrive.
> But it will not boot!!!
> Tried twice or 3 times (i.e. reinstall), still will not boot and gives
> only a grub prompt.

A GRUB prompt cannot stem from Knoppix 8.2.
Its boot equipment is ISOLINUX for BIOS and SYSLINUX for EFI.

Do you have an opportunity to put it on DVD and boot it by BIOS or EFI
in its legacy CSM mode ?
(Chances are that native EFI won't work from DVD.)

The boot equipment of 8.5 looks the same as 8.2. (I have the DELUG-DVD
from Linux Magazin 04/2019.)
Any early boot problems with 8.2 are likely still the same.

My best guess why you see a GRUB prompt is that some other storage device
has precendence over your USB stick and thus GRUB comes up. But it stays
a riddle why it then does not boot some system.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas