7.6.1: 3 failed passphrase attempts does not mountunion /ramdisk instead of /KNOPPIX-DATA

Dear Klaus,

It seems relatively minor, since one would not expect to be storing a
great deal of data in a live session following a failure to mount
persistent storage, but I thought I should bring this to your attention:

On failure to mount encrypted storage, mountdata() still returns true and
/init still puts /KNOPPIX-DATA rw in the union, even though nothing is
mounted there.

I just noticed the situation with /init 7 (which I'm still using because
Knoppix 7.6.1 doesn't support the video on this old machine).  Here are
the details, using line numbers from 7.6:

In the function mountaes(), if mount fails three times (e.g., wrong
passphrase), then mountaes() returns true anyway (presumably due to
success of /sbin/cryptsetup remove "$mapdev" on line 880).  It seems to me
that mountaes() should return false.

As a result of mountaes() returning true, mountdata() returns true (line
898) to the call on 973.  Behavior then continues as though a data
filesystem were mounted on /KNOPPIX-DATA:

978   mountunion /KNOPPIX-DATA=rw

and all data written to the union gets written to /KNOPPIX-DATA, even
though neither persistent storage nor /ramdisk are mounted there.

I don't know just what ill effects can result from running live like this
(that can't happen with /ramdisk in the union instead of /KNOPPIX-DATA),
but I thought you would like to know.

Best regards,
Andrew