Re: Knoppix versus Overscan: Knoppix loses

Dear Ronald,

Check pages 22 and 27 of your TV manual.

But this is a Knoppix list.  There should be a way, via X configuration,
to define the area of the screen that the desktop is allowed to occupy
(something like a root window geometry setting).  Perhaps a Knoppix
cheatcode for hwsetup?

As a quick-fix temporary measure, however, just to make the system usable:
 Right-click on the almost invisible panel ("main toolbar") and select
"Panel Settings".  The "Panel Preferences" dialog should open centered on
the desktop.  Under the "geometry" tab:  Find the "Height" and "Icon"
boxes.  Triple the height.  Set the icon size to one pixel less than
double, and then increase it by one.  (For example, suppose height: 26 and
Icon: 24.  Set Height to 78.  This triples the height (so the top two
thirds will be visible).  Set Icon to 47.  This just about doubles the
icon size, but the taskbar still shows three rows of buttons, now with
clipped icons (which would also be the case if we went straight to 48).
Increase Icon to 48.  The second adjustment causes the buttons to be
resized.)

Alternatively, you can put the panel on the right edge of the desktop:
starting from the "geometry" tab:
Position: Edge: Right
Position: Alignment: Center
Size: Height: 95 % Percent (or whatever gets the whole thing on screen)
Size: Width: (increase until everything is visible)

Once you can see the panel, you can click on the monitor icon to test out
different screen resolutions (and see what settings are enabled in your
TV's menus for each of them).

Menu > Picture > Advanced picture > Aspect adjustments

Perhaps you have already tried this, but if nothing else works, I would
use "Zoom" format, vertically shrink the image, and, if reduction doesn't
suffice, raise the image as well:
Aspect adjustments > Screen format > Zoom
Aspect adjustments > Zoom adjustments > V-size
Aspect adjustments > Zoom adjustments > V-position

Best of luck,
Andrew