Re: Knoppix versus Overscan: Knoppix loses

In message <[🔎] 1d3068cc2fe920d68d0716b7f4e17232.squirrel@webmail.dreamhost.com>,
"Andrew" <knoppix@rngresearch.com> wrote:

>Check pages 22 and 27 of your TV manual.

Done already. None of the controls on the TV are of any help in this matter.

>But this is a Knoppix list.  There should be a way, via X configuration,
>to define the area of the screen that the desktop is allowed to occupy

That was, in effect, what I was suggesting could or perhaps should be
the case, at least in the future.

If there is a way of doing that now, I would like to know what it is.

>As a quick-fix temporary measure, however, just to make the system usable:
> Right-click on the almost invisible panel ("main toolbar") and select
>"Panel Settings".  The "Panel Preferences" dialog should open centered on
>the desktop.  Under the "geometry" tab:  Find the "Height" and "Icon"
>boxes.  Triple the height.  Set the icon size to one pixel less than
>double, and then increase it by one.  (For example, suppose height: 26 and
>Icon: 24.  Set Height to 78.  This triples the height (so the top two
>thirds will be visible).  Set Icon to 47.  This just about doubles the
>icon size, but the taskbar still shows three rows of buttons, now with
>clipped icons (which would also be the case if we went straight to 48).
>Increase Icon to 48.  The second adjustment causes the buttons to be
>resized.)

This did indeed work to make the system generally usable.  So I thank you
for that.

However given that I will generally be using Knoppix for fixing problems
(e.g. with hard drives, or diagnosing other hardware problems, e.g. relating
to network connectivity), I think that if there were a way to boot Knoppix
in text-only mode that would probably be even better for me than what you
have described above.  But I am looking at the boot options on this page:

   http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix701-en.html

and I am not seeing anything that suggests the existance of a text-only
boot mode.  Is there one?  If so, how do I get it?

>And now for something completely different...
>Menu > Picture > Advanced picture > Aspect adjustments
>
>Perhaps you have already tried this, but if nothing else works, I would
>use "Zoom" format, vertically shrink the image, and, if reduction doesn't
>suffice, raise the image as well:

Thank you for these interesting suggestions.  Unfortunately, I did just
try adjusting the TV setting in the exact manner you described, and none
of the TV adjustments really helped at all. :-(  Even at maximum height
and minimum zoom, the overscan problem is still very much present.