Screen Readers not Working, System otherwise fully functional.

--
I rebuilt the 7.4.2 DVD iso to boot into Adriane by default and have
installed it to hard disk(As being chained to an external optical
drive is far from convient and I lack a bootable flash drive). I've
done some fairly heavy modifications via Aptitude(mostly removing
software I don't need, but also installing a few programs not included
in the DVD and upgrading some programs that are included). For the
most part, things have gone well with what bugs my customizations have
caused even being small enough to ignore or easily fixed. However, I
find myself with both SBL(when in text-mode) and Orca(when in
graphical mode) refusing to talk to me, and despite trying to be
careful about the changes I make and not making to many at once, I
have no idea what caused the breakage or how to fix it. I can, through
memorized menus and keyboard shortcuts launch Iceweasel and load a
YouTube video to confirm that both Sound and Internet are still
working, and I can chroot into the hardrive from the Live DVD for
rescue purposes, but have no idea how to proceed with diagnoising or
fixing the problem that is causing both screen readers to be silent.
Should be noted, that whatever got changed by Aptitude that shouldn't
have been changed, it only silenced SBL and Orca after a reboot.

With how much work I've put into trying to get my installed system
just the way I want it, I'd rather avoid another clean install, so any
help would be greatly appreciated. If a clean re-install is the only
viable solution, does anyone know a tool that would either allow me to
create a restore point for rolling back changes Aptitude makes to
installed software or creating a back-up image of my hard drive that I
could restore to create something in-between the broken system and a
clean install, or anything else that might provide a safety net for
when my tinkering goes awry in the future?

Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.