Re: Discussion? (Re: Knoppix 7.4.x CD)

On Oct 8 2014, Capri Corny wrote:

I would also like to support the idea of a bare bones distribution, it would make generating your own version that mush easier. I am afraid I may have missed it, but could it just be a version on its own, i.e. CD, DVD and a bare bones version. This may stop people misunderstanding the CD version. It might also lead to someone generating a version that has a simple standard script so that people can re generate their own versions, packages and start menu layout from a standard textfile thus making upgrade much easier.

 Regards
Peter

I agree that a bare-bones Knoppix/Adriane CD image, as a basis for
customizing and eventually remastering (possibly also with some forensic
tools..), seems like a good idea.  It just has to be made completely clear
to all users that this is _not_ a lightweight entry-level distro.  And
omitting office, just a browser (plus a few basic servers and communication
tools), I think most will get it - otherwise we can only prepare for all
the "package missing on the Knoppix CD" inquiries and complaints. That
would cater for most adaptation needs - except for the creation of pure 64
bits versions - to that end, an adaptable "knxbootstrap"  Debian package
would be nice.

For my own needs, however, I would like a ca 2GB compressed image, so most
of the really basic software is covered. That will save most people some
time customizing, and remove most of the need for package purging.

Trond

I'd third the suggestion for a CD image containing little more than
the Debian base system, LXDE, a web browser, and the Knopix
customizations, but as a Blind user I think the CD version should at
least also include the Adriane meta-package along with its
dependencies, which does necessitate the inclusion of several
non-essential components. Though, with what KK said about there being
extra effort to producing a CD version, I suspect his methodology
might be a top-down rather than a bottom-up one.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa. Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-knoppix-request@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org Archive: [🔎] CAO2sX310pK_q6KQk2w4cgg5CJUKvWi938bC04btuEq9Ssire2g@mail.gmail.com">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] CAO2sX310pK_q6KQk2w4cgg5CJUKvWi938bC04btuEq9Ssire2g@mail.gmail.com

--
Peter J G Long PhD
Senior Design Engineer

Cambridge University Engineering Department
Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1PZ

Tel 44 -(0) 1223 -332779
Fax 44 -(0) 1223 -332741