7.4.0,7.4.1 no KDE NetworkManager tray icon

knoppix desktop=kde
There is no 'NetworkManager' tray icon
'ps aux' shows it running: /usr/sbin/NetworkManager
but it's not in the tray. I tried killing it and re-starting it, but still nothing.
see pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126934570@N05/15180008509/

I found how to get wireless up, in case someone encounters this:
click on: KDE-menu > Applications > Internet > wpa_supplicant user interface
or click on: KDE-menu > type in: wpa >click on: wpa_supplicant user interface
click on: Scan
double click your network, fill in PSK or WEP keys, click add
click close on scan results window
notice what adapter you are using in the wpa_gui window (probably wlan0, you need this for the last step)
open a terminal (click on KDE-menu > type in: kons > click on Konsole)
type in: sudo pump -i wlan0