v7.2 only partitial persistence on USB

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-flash-en.html unless I'm reading it wrong creates a chicken & egg problem: needing to boot Knoppix first in order to install it to USB. I couldn't find instructions to install to USB stick formatted native and specific to Knoppix, so I used unetbootin to burn the v7.2 DVD iso to an 8G stick partitioned as one primary and formatted EXT4. On first boot I typed in 400 when asked for a permanant storage size. That got me /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img 409600K apparently aliased to /KNOPPIX-DATA/ on boot via /dev/loop0. I put a bunch of stuff in /usr/local, so I know that is working. But, running mc and saving settings on any of the vttys isn't surviving reboot. I went looking through the menu starter in X, cheatcodes, knopper.net and elsewhere because I thought there was some other cmdline parameter required for persistence I've used in the past, but now it's proving elusive. What is it I'm not remembering or finding?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/