Re: Knoppix USB sound device issues

Dear Klaus,

On the topic of sound device selection issues, there is something else I
would like to ask you to consider changing.  I have been having great
difficulties using a USB headset with Knoppix.

When I plug in a USB headset, even if I disable the mother-board sound
device, and plug in the USB device before powering up the machine, it is
ignored; Knoppix runs with no sound I/O instead.

I believe part of the problem lies in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    16:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
    17:options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Now, there is another O/S, that has a very convenient behavior, which
would be great for Knoppix, too:  When I plug in a USB headset, this other
O/S automatically makes it the primary mic/speaker audio device, and when
I unplug it, the system automatically reverts to its prior condition.

Thank you for considering it!

Best regards,
Andrew