Re: Problem with kernel 3.6.X

Hello JD,

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 06:44:30PM -0700, JD wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    When I updated the kernel to 3.6, and kept updating
>    more subversion of the kernel became available, I
>    started experiencing write errors to all hard drives
>    which have ext3 or ext4 filesystems. Most of the
>    failed reads and writes were caused by the fact that
>    the drives were in standby mode, which is something
>    that is very useful for extending the life of the drive,
>    but which the kernel disk drivers in 3.6.X did not take
>    into account, and thus many failed reads and writes.
>
>    This problem was not there prior to kernel 3.6!!!
>
>    And indeed I confirmed this by booting into 3.5.X
>    and 3.4.X.
>
>    I hope this is helpful to people who might otherwise
>    think their drives are bad.

This sounds like a serious kernel bug, which I would not expect
occurring in the recent "stable" >= 3.6.7 kernels.

I just uploaded a kernel package that I would like to include in Knoppix
7.0.5  I had no problems on my testing computers, but maybe you can
recheck by installing these packages (and the static kernel part) on
your system, and tell if the errors still occur?

http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/linux-source-3.6.7/

This version has aufs and cloop patched in.

Regards
-Klaus