Re: Knoppix 7.0.3 locks up laptop with AMD Sepmron cpu

Greetings Klaus,

On 08/19/2012 03:49 PM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
Hello JD,

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 03:33:15PM -0600, JD wrote:
   Hi All,
   I booted 7.0.3 on an Intel cpu laptop, and all went well.
   However several times I tried to boot it on the AMD
   Sempron cpu laptop, and it gets to the point where it
   says
   Do not remove the media until shutdown ..... etc.
   Then after about a minute or two, a couple of the
   LED's on the laptop (with symbol of a padlock, which
   are used to indicate Caps lock, Num lock and Scroll lock),
   start blinking and keybaord and power button become
   useless. I have to unplug the power cord, and remove
   the battery to shut it down.
This looks like a serious kernel crash. If you boot with option "debug",
you will probably see a "kernel panic" at the point where it happens. If
you got the "Do not remove the media" message before this, then it
probably happened when a driver for a specific hardware part was loaded.
Since the "power button" in modern notebooks is not really a "power
button", but rather a key that tells your OS to shut down, it becomes
unresponsive. However, most notebooks will still switch off power if you
hold down the power key for a longer time (maybe 10 seconds). The
blinking of LEDs is characteristic for some types of hardware-related
crashes.

It may be possible to circumvent the crash by special boot options, but
maybe it's easier to just try a new kernel. I'm currently preparing
Knoppix 7.0.4 with Linux kernel 3.4.9 for upload, which may solve the
problem.

Regards
-Klaus

As I already replied to my own message before I
saw your reply, I would like to add that I also tried
Knoppix 6.5.
This one gets all the way to where it asks the user
to enter the run level.
I entered the number 5, and it said there are no more
processs to run qat this level, and went totally silent.
I was unable to make it budge further.

So, I decided to change the built-in DVD-ROM with
a working DVD/RW. Sure enough it booted all the way.
Sorry for the alarm. I have no idea how Windows installed
OK with the same "bad" DVD-ROM, and windows runs fine.

But, no matter - problem closed. Bad hardware.

Cheers,

Joe