Re: USB3 mostly broken; fixed in linux kernel 3.4.10

Hello Charles,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 01:28:55PM -0500, Charles Evans wrote:
> I just got an HP computer with an A10 CPU and USB3.
> I had numerous failures, with USB3 ports vanishing while in use;
> they only reappeared after a cold reset.
> Once a port vanished during a long write;
>  the drive light kept blinking for hours - until cold reset by reboot.
>
> If I use the USB3 drives only on USB2 ports, everything is fine.
> I can even use the USB3 ports, but only for USB2 devices.
>
> I found this:
>
> commit 1aac2e73a8af6ce1cd6e938967dd17e2c8d38994
> xhci: Fix bug after deq ptr set to link TRB.
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/ChangeLog-3.4.10
>
>     This patch fixes a particularly nasty bug that was revealed by the ring
>     expansion patches.  The bug has been present since the very beginning of
>     the xHCI driver history, and could have caused general protection faults
>     from bad memory accesses.
>
> dmesg confirms this bug bit me, and often (esp. with K704 on a USB3 port).
> Simple tests of one USB3 device with one thread accessing it often work
> (on simple devices with no NCQ?).
> I hope you can do a new boot disk with a new kernel (if that will work).

Thanks for pointing me to this kernel bug. I'm already preparing a new
Knoppix 7.0.5 version which should be out around 21.12., containing
kernel 3.6.x (which also had a few issues, but I'm confident they are
resolved by now).

If you installed Knoppix on USB flash disk, you can already upgrade your
kernel. Get the linux-headers-3.6.8 and linux-image-3.6.8 packages from
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/linux-source-3.6.8/ ,
install them in the running live system (files will be stored inside the
persistent image), and don't forget to copy over the static kernel file
/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.8 to your USB flash disks boot/syslinux/linux, so the
updated kernel is started correctly.

If you notice any issues with the 3.6.8 kernel (the zram bug of the 3.6
series has been patched in my version already), please let me know.

Regards
-Klaus