Remastered Knoppix 7.0.2/7.0.3 hangs during syslog init - something missing?

This phenomenon started with squashfs remastering of 7.0.2, but with 7.0.3, it occurs with cloop and squashfs alike.

AFAIK, I haven't changed anything important in the remastering method that used to work fine with earlier releases, and I wonder if someone can give me a hint to fix it. When changing the init order in knoppix-autoconfig, it seems that the problem is localized strictly with syslog init, which hangs for exactly 5 minutes.  System seems to run fine, and when moved to the end og the autoconfig script and skipped, it seems that only syslog init is affected by this, everything else seems to work.  So there is no inherent general problem with the remastering process, as far as I can see.  Repeated remasterings work just fine, too, and they are tested in daily use.  It's only the syslog init.

It may well be that there is some underlying bug in the remastering method that has now become exposed, and I would appreciate hints at finding/fixing the problem.

Trond