Re: Remastering Knoppix

On 06/07/2012 09:06 AM, Klaus Knopper wrote:
Hello JD and list,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 08:24:00AM -0700, JD wrote:
   I found this wiki for remastering knoppix:
   [1]http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

   I assume it is fully up-to-date?
It looks OK to me.

For the case of just adding a few packages, there is a quicker/shorter
method, though.

Let's take the ntfs-3g package update as example.

Instead of recreating the entire compressed file system
(KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX), you can create "add-ons" (KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX1,
KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2, ...).

This is also the method I use for adding software that's easy to remove
again later, like KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX1 on the magazine version of Knoppix
7.0.0.

After installation of the new ntfs-3g package, all new or changed files
are inside /ramdisk if you are not using an overlay file (in which case
they would go to /KNOPPIX-DATA instead of /ramdisk).

In order to create a new compressed file system with the changes, do this:

cd /ramdisk
sudo mkisofs -R -U bin sbin usr lib var | create_compressed_fs -B 131072 -m - - > /tmp/KNOPPIX1

The contents of KNOPPIX1 will later get stacked on top of the
KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX filesystem when booting, if you just put the file into
the same directory.

(Remote) copy /tmp/KNOPPIX1 from the running live system into the
KNOPPIX directory of your DVD master directory (a writable copy of the
DVD contents in, let's say, "DVD-directory").

Then create a new bootable DVD:

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J \
        -V "KNOPPIX" -A "KNOPPIX" \
	-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
	-b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
        -hide-rr-moved \
        -o DVD.iso DVD-directory

If you later add more changes on top of your changes using the new live
DVD, use the same procedure to create "KNOPPIX2" etc.

Regards
-Klaus

Thanx a LOT Klaus.
I am sure your elucidation will help many more users
than just me.
I am keeping your email for future reference.