Re: Knoppix Live Discs

Hello Mr. Welsh,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 04:26:29PM +0000, martin wrote:
> I have obtained a copy of Knoppix 7 and am unable to connect to a browser.
>
> I have a simple network of two computers to and through a router to
> the outside world.
> The computers are manually set with a fixed ip. I have a fixed ip with my
> isp.
> With the Knoppix disc driving one computer;
> Ping other computer - ok
> Ping router - ok
> Ping fixed ip - ok
>
> Connection of a browser indicates that the addresses used are not
> recognised.
>
> The same behavior was observed on earlier discs.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

It seems that your home router setup does not provide an automatic setup
of the name server (which is understandable, if you use fixed IP
addresses as you said above). You can check by looking into the file
/etc/resolv.conf in Knoppix. If there is no entry like

nameserver 10.0.0.1

or similar (other than 127.0.0.1, which is always the local address),
then your setup lacks of a name server address, and you have to set up a
"DNS Nameserver" in network manager manually. The nameserver is an IP
address that can translate internet names into IP addresses. Often, the
router or internet proxy has a built in name server, so you may try to
enter the address of your router as a first try.

Hope this helps