Re: bad nfs mounting

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 03:59:21PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> # uname -a
> Linux Knoppix 2.6.24.4 #2 SMP PREEMPT... (aka 5.3.1)
>
> # portmap
> #
>
> # mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2 /nfsmnt
> mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
> 	Either use '-o nolocks' to keep locks local, or start statd.

"nolocks" does not exist as an option. Are you sure you have read
exactly this as error message?

The correct option is "-o nolock", it tells mount not to check for
statd/lockd before doing the mount().

> # mount -t nfs -o nolocks 192.168.1.2 /nfsmnt
> mount.nfs: Unsupported nfs mount option: nolocks

Should be: mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.2:/exported_directoryname /nfsmnt

> # ls -l /etc/init.d | grep rpc
> #

There is no lockd/statd running because we need none.

> I looked for clues in /etc/init.d/nfs-common and
> /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh for clues how rpc.statd is supposed to get
> started, but couldn't recognize any. Why does mount.nfs tell me to
> try an option that it cannot recognize? It used to be that all I had

Again, I have never seen an error message that told me to use "nolocks",
it shoule be "nolock".

> to remember to mount nfs running Knoppix was to start portmap.
> What's the current 5.3.1 secret to accessing nfs? Is it the same in
> all versions 5.3.1 or newer?

Please have a look into /init, where all the NFS-related mounts for
Knoppix terminalserver mode are.

For Knoppix 5.x, you may need "nfsmount" instead of busybox "mount", but
for the current 6.4.x version, you can use mount -o nolock.