Re: Skype on knoppix

Two out of three ain't bad:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Three questions:
> 1. What flavor of Debian does Knoppix 6.0 most cloesely resemble?

That depends.  }8-D
What kernel are you running?  Running, sans quotes, "uname -r" will
give you the kernel and you can then look at the Debian Packages site
to determine which version of Debian your version of Knoppix most
closely matches.

Debian Packages site:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

> 3. My wife loves the Knoppix inteface. If I install Debian instead
> what do I need to emulate the Knopppx look and feel?

Assuming you are using (and are happy with) the LXDE interface, you
can choose a Debian installation that will give you that interface
'out-of-the-box' (so to speak).  For instance, let's assume that you
want to install Squeeze 32-bit from a CD that you burned from an ISO
image.  The file you would look for on the mirrors would be named
'debian-6.0.1a-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso' (not the lxde in the
filename).

> The ultimate objective is to get Skype running on this computer.
> Vista has collapsed so that is no longer an option.

A little off-topic but this is unfortunately no real surprise.  If one
must run Windows, Windows 7 is a much more palatable experience.
Barring that there is XP.  Barring that, there is always a GNU/Linux
distro to ease your pain.  ;-)

HTH -- at least a bit.