Re: Knoppix 6.5: Thank you ! How to compile/run 64 bits code ? Improvement suggestions.

Hi Gilles,

Sorry about the late answer, well, you know me... ;-)

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 02:06:40AM -0700, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
>  Re-post since I did not get any reply with my previous post...
>
>  Hi Klaus,
>
>    I finally got my hands on your latest version of Knoppix 6.5 (a friend
>    shipped me the Linux Magazine from UK) and again you have done a fantastic
>    and amazing job; thank you very much for continuing the Knoppix
>    development !
>
>  I now have a couple of questions and suggestions for improvements:
>
>    1) How do you compile and run 64 bits code ? (after using "knoppix64" as a
>    boot parameter)

It does not matter whether you started with the 32bit or the 64bit
kernel. If you want to create 64bit executables on a 32bit host (binary)
system, you will be cross-compiling.

You need to install the 64bit GCC development libraries  (be careful not
to overwrite your system libs, though), and set -m64 for gcc
additionally to LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the 64-bit libs.

>    2) Could you please consider removing the legacy support
>    in the the 64 bits kernel for speed improvement ?

Do you mean 32-bit support for the 64 bit kernel? But then, Knoppix will
no longer run, since all the programs are still 32bit. I cannot install
both a 32bit and a 64bit system in parallel.

Is there really a noticeable difference in speed if "legacy support" is
enabled?

>  3) Could you please compile the kernel to allow for more than 8 cloop files ?

How many do you need?

>    4) Could you please compile the kernel to allow for more than 8 processor
>    cores ? (the i7-980X has 12 and more are coming soon)

I'm not sure if this would not cost additional memory and resources if
there are LESS than the specified cores. The kernels documentation
suggests that adding support for mode CPUs will increase the kernels
memory consumption somewhat.

What's you proposal for the right maximum cpu core value? 32, or rather 16?

> 5) How to change (or
>    restore) a soft link date/time ? (to create an exact replication of a file
>    tree, cp, tar, rsync do not work, is this a bug ?)

knopper@eeepc:~$ ln -s 1 2
knopper@eeepc:~$ ls -l 2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 knopper users 1  8. Apr 23:09 2 -> 1
knopper@eeepc:~$ cp -a 2 3
knopper@eeepc:~$ ls -l 2 3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 knopper users 1  8. Apr 23:09 2 -> 1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 knopper users 1  8. Apr 23:09 3 -> 1

Apparently, cp -a DOES copy the symlinks date/time correctly.

Can you give me an example where cp -a did not work?

>    When is the next
>    version available for download ? (not everybody have access to Linux
>    Magazine)

I know... :-(

As always, I will need some time to evaluate feedback from 6.5, add some
changes (including some of your proposals), and prepare the CD version
as well. So, probably not before May.

>    If you are interested I have customized the init boot script and
>    minirt.gz to add functionalities suh as: boot from iso on hdd (for speed),
>    pxe boot from iso on a samba or nfs share, data persistence stored in a
>    partition,...

Great! Please send me your script and let me know if I can use it in
parts or in total under the conditions of the GPL V2.

Regards
-Klaus