Re: Maybe I need a better video card? Editing xorg.conf?

--- On Wed, 9/28/11, Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:

> Which card, running which xserver-xorg-core version, may I
> ask?

It's a "Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller
 Hub (rev 07)" according to lspci.

As for xserver-xorg-core I have tried many versions, the most recent is 1.11.1-1

> Could this be related to the "3d screensavers" which turn
> on
> occasionally, or compiz?

I am suspecting these too. But this compiz is such an evil which I can't live without now.

Recently I have started to disable the screensaver. It's seems
to be better but I need long time to confirm that.

> Another thing could be failing powersave modes (i.e. the
> chipset goes to
> sleep and does not wake up again). In this case, it may be
> helpful to
> disable xorgs powersave functions using the "noapm" cheat
> code, which will set
> Option    "NoPM"  "true"
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I will check these later. Try not to run too many experiments
at one time, otherwise difficult to conclude.

Cheers