Re: VirtualBox on KNOPPIX 6.7.0

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:52:26PM +0900, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you boot an OS on VirtualBox installed on KNOPPIX 6.7.0?
>
> At first I have to re-create vboxdrv module.
>  sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms
>
> The module is installed but, I met another error.
>   Failed to load VMMR0.r0","Unknown error creating VM"
>
> The log said that Symlinks are not permitted at /usr.
>
>   00:00:11.506 pdmR3LoadR0U: pszName="VMMR0.r0" rc=VERR_SUPLIB_SYMLINKS_ARE_NOT_PERMITTED szErr="Symlinks are not permitted: '/usr'"
>
> Please tell me how to remove the error.

It seems that the Makers of Virtualbox broke it on several distributions
by adding "hardening checks" that make it impossible to start Virtualbox
on a system that has symlinks in its library paths. BSD Users have
reported this, too:

http://www.nntpnews.info/showthread.php?t=19701327&pagenumber=

There is no configuration option or commandline flag available in
virtualbox which would disable these checks.

As you may have read before on the debian-knoppix list, this is not the
only problem with virtualbox nowadays. :-(

Actually, the best solution for me rught now seems to deinstall
virtualbox and use only kvm instead in future releases of Knoppix,
rather than downgrading to a very old version or patching the sources to
something that the authors of Virtualbox consider as "insecure".

Sorry, I have no workaround for this virtualbox bug.

Regards
-Klaus