Re: own crawls slower than a slug

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 09:54:58PM -0700, JD wrote:
>    Running 0wn tohd (Knoppix 6.7 as a VBox Guest on F14 host).
>    VM has 768MiB mem.
>    Knoppix HD is a 32GiB V-disk.
>    V-disk has 2GiB Swap, which is enabled before 0wn is started.
>
>    0wn
>    1. consumes 98% of cpu
>    2. takes over 2 days to complete.
>
>    Host Cpu is Athlon64 3700+,
>    Host RAM is 2GiB, and host swap is 8GiB,
>
>    I would have accepted that it would take
>    twice as long as running 0wn on real HW, but
>    more than 2 days???
>
>    I cannot blame it all on VirtualBox.

When installing with 0wn in KVM on an Asus 1101HA netbook (maybe 1/4 the
speed of your Athlon) with 512 MB virtual RAM and no swap (0wn disables
swap during installation anyways), it takes about 15 minutes to install
the full DVD version.

I create the virtual disk image by

qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o cluster_size=4k,preallocation=metadata sda.img 15G

Depending on the type of your harddisk image, it may take your VM a long
time to "expand" data blocks to the needed size, expecially if you are
using sparse files or compressed images in order to save real disk
space. Note the "cluster_size=4k,preallocation=metadata" options above
for KVM, they pre-expand the data management part, which speeds up
installation a lot. But even without this, installation time is not 2
days. CPU usage of near 100% during installation, however, is normal on
my slow netbook, since decompression of the compressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
image and accessing the virtual disk just takes some resources (though
all the virtualization-related stuff should rather cause high cpu usage
on the host side).

So, I do tend to blame virtualbox for your long installation time. ;-)

Maybe there are options in virtualbox to chose a different harddisk
image type or emulated controller, which speeds things up?

Regards
-Klaus