Re: 0wn failure

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:09:55AM -0700, JD wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    Knoppix 6.7.
>
>    Using 0wn, and selecting gparted, and partitioning the
>    drive to 30GiB resierfs partition (sda1) and 2GiB swap
>    partition (sda2), select apply all operation from edit menu,
>    when done, quit gparted.
>    0wn brings back the same menu to select partitioning
>    method. It never proceeds to install.

This is the expected behaviour if the conditions mentioned in the help
text are not met, which are

- a formatted Linux reiserfs partition (type 83) of at least 15GB.
- a mkswapp'ed Linux swap partition (type 82) of at least 1GB.

Both CAN be done using gparted, if you chose the appropriate options and
click on the "commit" button. If properly formatted, the main menu will
show the Linux/reiserfs partition as first entry, and you can select it
for installation.

But it's easier to just free about 20GB by moving other (existing)
partition data, and let 0wn do tht "automatic partitioning". The most
reliable option is of course "use whole disk", which will erase the
harddisks contents and create a new partition table with only the
aforementioned partitions.

If neither of this works, you have found another bug, but I did test the
3 installation methods with "0wn" before the release, in kvm.

Regards
-Klaus
PS: 0wn uses reiserfs as only option, because it is the only file system I know
which repairs itself in case of a prior sync-less poweroff by just mounting it,
and is fairly easy to handle compared to other tree+ file systems. You can try to
convince me to use something else in the furture, of course, if you know any
good reasons. ;-)