Re: Problem running 6.7 DVD iso under VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.12_72916_fedora14-1.i686

Hello JD,

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 03:59:58PM -0700, JD wrote:
>    Looks like knoppix is unable to finish doing System Setup
>    and gets stuck in the stage of doing
>    Starting udev [ audio, graphics, input]...
>    and the cursor remains spinning at the end of the green progress bar.
>    I have not posted this to the VBox mailing list, because
>    I suspect they will tell me to ask the Knoppix mailing list.
>
>    Any suggestions how I can get beyond this boot stage?

Actually yes. I found out that this is apparently a bug in virtualbox'
emulation of the text console, because I have never seen this anywhere
else yet. While the progress bar is running, "udev --daemon" does not
even start (well, it does, if you invest about 15 minutes of
waiting...). I 'fixed' this for the next release by making the progress
bar single-threaded, but what you can do right now, is using the
"splash" boot option, which will just disable the progress bar, and thus
will make udev start up correctly.

Of course this error in virtualbox makes no sense at all, but I found no
other way to circumvent other than using kvm instead of virtualbox
(which I would recommend), or disabling all screen output while udev is
started (which is what "knoppix splash" is doing, additionally to
displaying a splash picture if one is installed).

Regards
-Klaus