Re: Linux Kernel 64 compile on Knoppix 6.7

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 04:56:47PM -0700, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
>    --- On Mon, 8/15/11, Gilles van Ruymbeke <ruymbeke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    > Trying to compile the 64 bits kernels (from your sources) still gives me
>    a 32 bits binary.
>
>    Did you add "ARCH=x86_64" to all your compilations of kernel/modules ?
>
>    eg
>
>             $ make ARCH=x86_64 bzImage
>             $ make ARCH=x86_64 modules
>             $ sudo make ARCH=x86_64 modules_install
>
>    Also did you install the needed multi-lib compiler and libraries on a
>    harddisk install or on a "poor-man" install with persistency ? If you
>    installed them on a "poor-man" install, the /lib64 libraries will not
>    survive a reboot because the minirt.gz did not put that into the
>    persistent store. A minor fix to minirt.gz is needed to include lib64 into
>    the UNIONFS.

Good point. New directories in / will not be stored automatically into
/UNIONFS, and minirt.gz/init currently ignores everything but boot etc
sbin var lib opt root usr bin. The quick fix is copying /lib64 to
/UNIONFS with persistent overlay, and add lib64 to the for loop which
links the toplevel directories in init inside minirt.gz.

-Klaus