Run 32bit virtualbox on 64bit knoppix host

Not a truely knoppix question per se, but I Wonder if anyone has tried running the pre-installed virtualbox ose on knoppix once he has booted into the 64 bit kernel ? Based on my testing, it does not work. Wonder if there is a way to setup a "chroot" environment which will run it on the 64bit kernel.

Installing a 64 bit virtualbox on a true 64 bit host is possibly a way out, but if on the same machine I have to keep changing back and forth between the 64 and 32 bit kernel, then effectively on the same machine, I will need to install both the 32bit and 64 bit libraries on the same harddisk.

It seems VMplayer is able to run the 32bit version on the 64bit host.