Re: Problems with compressed 64-bits Knoppix: Summing up

Finally, I was able to get the remastered 64-bits image to work. I'm now booting with a minimally modified init, based on squashfs, and I got /sbin/init started by chrooting into /UNIONFS.

1. Squashfs seemed to be simpler in this case, one less thing that could go wrong.
2. Busybox and ntfs-3g turned out to be the only programs needed in minirt bin.
3. Busybox is not busybox is not busybox. Neither freshly compiled nor binary downloads of busybox 1.18 would work. Nor did Busyboxes from other live Debian distros. (As far as I could tell.). Busybox 1.17 from the Debian package worked - in a way. It wasn't able to run programs like in 32 bits init, but what it was able to do, was enough.
4. The ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 had to be used in place of ld-linux.so.2.
5. I copied dev from minirt into /UNIONFS/dev, but just dropped /proc and /sys.  Trying to include those turned out to be a mistake - they are mounted and used in the first init, but if dropped, they are taken up again later.
6. Qemu was fully adequate for testing - only it has a terrible habit of not updating the minirts between invocations. I will call that a bug.
7. After working through it for quite a few days, and having compared it with alternatives, I like the minirt init script a lot, but I think it could benefit from a bit stricter and more transparent organization. As it is a primary target for smaller modifications, it should be as readable as possible.
8. The only recompiled component I have retained, is the 2.6.39.2 kernel, and I don't know if I really had to do it. So full 64 bits remastering was indeed possible with minimal compilation.

Trond