Re: rebuildfstab question

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:00:57AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Wow!  That was fast.  It looks like all udev add/change/remove events are
> now being handled by the more efficient (and much faster) "mode A."
> However, "mode A" doesn't ignore extended partitions.

Sorry, I missed that exception. :-(

> Two suggestions:
> The original test (scanpartitions:  Does /proc/partitions report #blocks <
> 2?) might be inserted into mode A.

That was a humble test for guessing if a partition may contain a file
system without actually checking for it, prior to the udev version.

> I also note that udev sets the
> variable:
>
> UDISKS_PARTITION_TYPE=0x05

That's better, and quicker. I'll use it for now.

> (I would have expected udev to tell us that the partition has a partition
> table, but it does not.)
>
> Now, to my original problem with the new script:  I used to be able to
> make manual entries to fstab; knoppix would leave those devices alone and
> still autoconfigure everything else.  Knoppix still won't delete my lines,
> but now it appends its own _second_ line for the same device.  Which is
> the correct behavior?

rebuildfstab should leave manually added configurations in /etc/fstab
alone, and add new lines only for partitions not configured yet. I added
a grep check for pre-existing device lines (starting with $DEVICENAME).

Please look for rebuildfstab-knoppix_0.6-4 on debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org.

Regards
-Klaus