Re: Missing 64-bits packages: Search for them or compile them?

Hello Capri,
As far as I know, aufs, cloop and other critical for the boot kernel modules
are now compiled within the kernel (and are not loaded by the initrd anymore).
So all the critical components which could have a big performance impact as
(>4GB memory, fast I/O and context switching, 64 bits guest virtual machines support,...) already exists in the 64 bits kernel created by Klaus in his Knoppix 6.5 version.
As an example I run VMware workstation with 64 bits guest without any problem
(besides the shared /mnt/hgfs folder which I still cannot get to work properly... yet)
My two cents,
Gilles

PS: As a side note, I still do not see the need to have every single binary compiled in 64 bits anymore beside the academic interest and the fun to create a "pure" 64 bits Knoppix version. I much prefer to have more apps available (on a limited size DVD) and recompile or download the few applications or services that I need to run as fast as possible since 32 and 64 bits applications can co-exist with a 64 bits kernel. Please don't get me wrong we all like performance but I think that with the 64bits kernel of the new Knoppix 6.5 we already have what we need. BTW, recompiling applicatons is much easier than it looks like: configure, make, make install.