Re: Ext4 support standard in next Knoppix release?

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:16:34PM +0200, Capri Corny wrote:
>    For example, in the trymount() function in 6.4.4 init, there are tries for
>      vfat iso9660 ntfs-3g reiserfs ext3 ext2
>    But ext4 is nowhere mentioned in the whole script.

Your recommendation is to add ext4 on front of ext3 at that place,
right? Ok, understood. Mounting ext4 partitions in general should always
work after the system is up and running, though.

>    To use it for running
>    Knoppix from,

Not in most cases. The /init script is not used anymore after
installation on harddisk. If you want to run Knoppix in the cloop
version from an USB flashdisk, like created in flash-knoppix, then your
proposed change would indeed make it possible to detect ext4 as ext4.

>    we have to add the ext4.ko to the modules directory, and add
>    an ext4 clause to the trymount() function.

I'll compile in ext4, so we don't need to load a module for it.

>    Or am I wrong?  There is also
>    a question about 32- vs 64 bits kernel modules in that case.

Yes, I try to avoid that, too, by compiling in all modules necessary to
mount the filesystem.

>    As I dont
>    know, I have abstained from using ext4 altogether, as I run the 64-bits
>    kernel almost exclusively.  Maybe unnecessary, but at least I don't get
>    any problems.

btrfs would also be an issue. But, does it make sense to have btrfs on a
flash disk? I don't check for reiserfs, xfs, ... in initrd either.

>    But, as you didn't even know there was a problem, I assume it will be
>    fixed - which is the important thing for me :-)

Yes. :-)

>    And please, bear up with all kinds of out-of-mainstream questions and
>    suggestions.  They come because Knoppix is so useful for so many different
>    uses.

We try to make it useful for many purposes, of course, that's why it
looks kind of "overloaded" sometimes. There are some reasons for
including many drivers in the static kernel part, which I always have to
go through when assembling a new version. Also, USB keyboards have to
work in order to be able to access the "create persistent overlay"
feature dialog, and I just found one that didn't (roccat).

Thanke for your feature request, I'll work on it. If there is anything
else missing, please let me know.