Re: bad nfs mounting

On 2011/05/25 01:40 (GMT+0200) Klaus Knopper composed:

Thanks for response, and Bernd too!

Felix Miata wrote:

 # uname -a
 Linux Knoppix 2.6.24.4 #2 SMP PREEMPT... (aka 5.3.1)

 # portmap
 #

 # mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2 /nfsmnt
 mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
 	Either use '-o nolocks' to keep locks local, or start statd.

"nolocks" does not exist as an option. Are you sure you have read
exactly this as error message?

Yes. Today was not my first encounter with this, only the first I took the trouble to mention here.

The correct option is "-o nolock", it tells mount not to check for
statd/lockd before doing the mount().

After your reply, I tried again. "nolocks" is the error message, while nolock does work.

 # mount -t nfs -o nolocks 192.168.1.2 /nfsmnt
 mount.nfs: Unsupported nfs mount option: nolocks

Should be: mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.2:/exported_directoryname /nfsmnt

If I knew how to get busybox to dump command history to a file, like bash does to .bash_history, email typos like this would be a smaller problem. ;-)

 # ls -l /etc/init.d | grep rpc
 #

There is no lockd/statd running because we need none.

I just remember once upon a time portmap was good enough by itself, and have no idea why every distro switched to using rpc instead.

 I looked for clues in /etc/init.d/nfs-common and
 /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh for clues how rpc.statd is supposed to get
 started, but couldn't recognize any. Why does mount.nfs tell me to
 try an option that it cannot recognize? It used to be that all I had

Again, I have never seen an error message that told me to use "nolocks",
it shoule be "nolock".

Indeed. I tried 6.4.4 again, using nomodeset on cmdline this time to avoid black screens, and the message was indeed nolock instead of nolocks.

 to remember to mount nfs running Knoppix was to start portmap.
 What's the current 5.3.1 secret to accessing nfs? Is it the same in
 all versions 5.3.1 or newer?

Please have a look into /init, where all the NFS-related mounts for
Knoppix terminalserver mode are.

I'm booted to 6.4.4 now:

# cd /init
bash: cd: /init: Not a directory

For Knoppix 5.x, you may need "nfsmount" instead of busybox "mount", but
for the current 6.4.x version, you can use mount -o nolock.

With 6.4.4's correct error message, I'm first reminded of rpc.statd, so I suppose that might be the better choice than -o nolock?

Now if I could only remember to always put no3d on cmdline. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/