Re: lxde with orca

Hello Rob,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:46:09AM +1100, Rob Whyte wrote:
> Hi,
> I digged through the archives but did not find the info I am after.
>
> I am trying to figure out how to get orca to speak in lxde.
> When I tried xfce I had to export this variable before starting the desktop
> export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge

This is correct.
export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk" GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge"
before starting a GTK program makes it aware of orca as screenreader.
You need to start orca as well, of course.

> I know this can go in a .xinitrc or saw on the list .xsessionrc file
> Do not know if they both do the same job or if are different.

It depends on who is calling the script. If you ise xinit, it's .xinitrc.

The normal xsession startup under Debian uses /etc/X11/Xsession.d/* as
startup files, you can put orca startup there, too.

> Is the variable the same needing to export before starting lxde?

Yes.

> Is there anybody on list who have successfully tweaked a default
> lxde to perform as well as it did when I once tried knoppix.
>
> I cant get the latest knoppix to speak.

Knoppix version 6.4.4 as well as 6.5 should still work well with the
included orca.

> Installed to hard drive but think it may not have transferred the
> adriane system.

If you used 0wn for installing, everything necessary should have been
transferred.

You can use

knoppix orca

as boot option in order to start LXDE with compiz and orca.

> Am willing to try again if someone points me in the right direction.
> I have the dvd edition which I am told by #knoppix freenode has
> adriane included if I pass knoppix=adriane at boot loader.

knoppix=adriane won't do anything. "knoppix" is the kernel (same as
"linux"), and "adriane" is a kernel option. If you prefer the graphical
desktop instead of the adriane talking text menu, you can use "knoppix
orca" as above, so as a summary, you can use boot option "orca" for
graphical, and "adriane" for console-based talking desktops.