Knoppix on usb.

I have a knoppix partition on hard disk.  I want to make a knoppix on
usb flash drive system for an old Acer netbook that has no cdrom drive.
I booted my existing Knoppix hard disk partitition on my desktop
machine, purchased a 4 gig usb (on sale at Radio Shack) and worked my
way through the instructions on wiki/USB-Based FAQ.

Grub is still my nemesis. after setting up the partition without
incident I:

mounted the usb drive  on /mnt
mkdir knoppix
mount -o loop ./[iso name] knoppix
cp -r knoppix/* /mnt
sync ? (maybe I left this one out)
umount knoppix
rmdir knoppix
mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub
cp -r /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub
echo 'hd0 /dev/sdc' > /mnt/boot/grub/device.map
(checked and this worked OK.)
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt
... and at this point I got an error message along the lines of
/mnt/boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
or something like that.
I changed the permissions on /mnt/boot/grub/stage1 to 666 and tried
again. Same error message.

stage1 is only 512 bytes long.

I know lilo is not often used on Debian systems, but can I try that
instead? I find grub impossibly complicated.

John Culleton

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: