persistent desktop settings after installation (Re: Knoppix 6.4.3 CD)

Hi again,

I finally noticed the source of the problem, i.e. why the LXDE wallpaper
settings are reverted to default after installation, the suspected file
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession was innocent. It's not primarily because
LXDE would run differently from USB disk than from DVD, but the problem
is caused by the original /usr/bin/startlxde script, namely those lines:

# Ensure the existance of pcmanfm config file
PCMANFM_CONF_DIR="$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pcmanfm"
if [ ! -f "$PCMANFM_CONF_DIR/LXDE.conf" ]; then
    mkdir -p "$PCMANFM_CONF_DIR"
    cp /usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/LXDE.conf "$PCMANFM_CONF_DIR/LXDE.conf"
fi

pcmanfm in the current version "converts" the obsolete LXDE.conf file
into the new configuration naming scheme, if it exists, and the deletes
the original file. When run the first time, LXDE.conf still contains the
Knoppix-preset version of LXDE.conf, but starting from the second boot,
the file is always newly created and then overwrites the personal
settings of pcmanfm (which concerns the file browser and the desktop
wallpaper settings).

Solution: Remove above lines from the original /usr/bin/startlxde after
installation with flash-knoppix or 0wn. They are not necessary in order
to run pcmanfm, and are just wrong. I will also fix this in the next
release, if it is not already repaired in upstream.

Regards
-Klaus