Re: Screen width on Knoppix install. Finished!

On Thursday 03 June 2010 16:06:13 John Culleton wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2010 10:57:01 John Culleton wrote:
> >
> > yet

> > > I assume you missed my reply [1] to your previous
message

> so I
>
> > am CCing
> >
> > > you now.
> > >
> > > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-
user/2010/05/msg02551.html

> > > Regards,
> > > Andrei
> >
> > Making progress.
> > The default screen layout is 1600 x900. I switched to
1024x768
> > and the whole screen is usable, including the task bar. But the
> > screen background is now in the lower right hand corner with
>
> black
>
> > bands above and to the left. The black areas are however
>
> usable.
>
> > The remaining task is adjusting the background image to fill
the
> > whole screen. hints welcome.
> >
> > BTW Compiz is running. This is a new product to me.
> >
> > --
> > John Culleton
> > Wexford Press
> > "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
>
> I tried installing regular Debian instead but it hung up during
> installation. So I am back to knoppix. Is there a way in a hard
disk
> install with 1024 x 768 format chosen to stretch the standard
> Austrian mountain backdrop to fill the whole screen?  My
stepson
> has fallen in love with the exploding screens on Knoppix, and
the
> merry go round selection of desktops.  I know it's eye candy but
it
> caught his eye.
> --
> John Culleton

I took the plunge and added some screen sizes and default depth
of 24 to xorg.conf. Screen size 1024x768 works best.

I tried installing Debian Testing but it blew up on install. So I went
back to my Knoppix partition.

Quote from wife: "I love Knoppix but hated Slackware." That is on
another machine, a laptop.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press