Re: dmesg.log

Hi,

Sorry for being late with my answer.

In Knoppix, I try to avoid automatic logging to files on the ramdisk,
because these can get huge and crash your computer if it runs out of
memory. /var/log/syslog can quickly grow over 1GB when some service
keeps restarting itself because of errors, or, for example, if you turn
on logging network packages via iptables.

For these reasons, the autostarted syslogd on Knoppix uses
/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf if present, which logs everything to virtual
console number 12 instead of files in /var/log/. The boot status message
showing up when syslog starts actually mentions this, but it probably
goes away again too fast to be readable.

If you made a USB flashdisk for booting, you can delete
/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf to restore the original behaviour of logging to
files in /var/log.

Regards
-Klaus