Re: Adding icon to panel at bottom of screen.

Hello John,

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 08:54:20PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> On Saturday 04 September 2010 17:45:12 Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > Dear John,
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 05:28:13PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> > > My wife uses knoppix (hard disk install) and I use Slackware with
> > > xfce. On her laptop I want to put the icon for iceweasel on the
> > > bottom panel.  There is already an icon for Iceweasel on the
> > > desktop, but she is more used to the icon on the bottom that has
> > > disappeared somehow.
> >
> > If you use Knoppix, you probably have LXDE, not XFCE. In LXDE, you
> > can add application icons to the application tray by selecting
> > "application start tray settings" with the right mousebutton over
> > the trays icons. You can then add arbitrary programs from a list.
> >
> > > Any change from her regular routine upsets her.
> >
> > I understand the problem. Same for many users. :-)
> >
> > > So for the sake of
> > > domestic tranquility please advise me.
> >
> > As for LXDE, the icons in the panel are fully configurable. For
> > XFCE, I'm not sure. You may have to edit a some .xfce-files
> > manually there. Maybe someone else knows?
> >
> > Regards
> > -Klaus
> XFCE is not the problem area. I have learned how to add apps to that
> panel. When I right click etc. on the panel in knoppix HD I get a
> menuing system that lets me add predefined applets like a load monitor,
> a clock etc. but not things like Iceweasel.

I think you clicked the wrong menu. If you select "Add entries to
panel", you can only add panel applets.

Instead, you need to go to the "application starter settings", where you
get a file browser that allows you to select programs from the (full)
menu, like iceweasel, and put them into the starter panel applet (which
expands enough in order to show all added programs).

The application starter is a panel applet, and a container for arbitrary
programs at the same time. If you don't have the application starter
yet, you can add it first. But usually, it already contains OpenOffice
and Iceweasel in Knoppix LXDE settings.

> One of the applets listed
> is the system tray.

The "system tray" (usually somewhere on the right part of the panel) is
a container for programs that display their status in the panel. You
cannot put program icons there.

> So I have that and can move it up to the top of
> the stack,  (moves it left in real life) expand it horizontally etc.
> But I just can't add anything to that system tray.
>
> Perhaps the system tray is the wrong piece to be working with. I don't
> speak LDXE very well.

The naming of "panel applets" and "program starter" and "system tray" is
indeed confusing, but in an unchanged Knoppix version, you should see
the predefined programs pcmanfm, lxterminal, iceweasel and openoffice on
the left side of the panel, right from the main menu.

Regards
-Klaus