How to adjust screen image on hard disk install

I just installed the Knoppix v6.2 dvd on my son's computer, using
0wn and  replacing Slackware.  He has a flat screen much wider
than it is high. As a result the screen background only fills part of
the width and does not go all the way to the top either. The bottom
bar goes all the way to the left but cuts off at the right edge of the
background. The physical screen is 17.4 by 9.75 approximately.

I suspect that some editing of xorg.conf is needed but if there is
another preferred method please let me know.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press