Re: Knoppix 6.2.0: Cannot switch to the linux consoles (Ctrl+Alt+Fx, x=1,2,3,...)

Hello Gilles,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:20:58PM -0800, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
> Yes I am using a nvidia card and yes "sudo chvt 1" works.
> Once in console 1, Ctrl + Alt + 5 alows me to go back to the UI.
> What could have changed between the previous beta and this release ?

Frankly, I don't know yet. I may have updated some xorg-related
packages. But VT switching still works for me on intel chipsets, so this
rather makes the nv xorg video module a suspect.

If booting in framebuffer mode (xmodule=fbdev), does this change
anything?

> What did you end up using to fix the localization ?

See below.

> Is it related to your add-on (below) to the knoppix-autoconfig script ?
>  # Need to add keyboard settings to debian's own config (HAL)
>  if [ -r /etc/default/console-setup ]; then
>   if [ -n "$XKEYBOARD" ]; then
>    sed -i -e "s|^XKBLAYOUT=.*\$|XKBLAYOUT=\"$XKEYBOARD\"|g" /etc/default/console-setup
>    case "$XKEYBOARD" in de*)
>     sed -i -e "s|^XKBVARIANT=.*\$|XKBVARIANT=\"nodeadkeys\"|g" /etc/default/console-setup ;;
>    esac
>   fi
>  fi

Yes, Debian uses /etc/default/console-setup for defining the keyboard
layout for any keyboard detected by udev/HAL. This was the fix for the
wrong keyboard layout in the almost-released version from 15th and 17th
november (that made it to some mirrors anyways).

But I don't think it is related to the VT switch issue.

-Klaus